Don’t make these. Seriously. You will not be able to stop eating the sweet, salty and crunchy pretzel chocolate bites. These pretzel hugs are so addicting, but the perfect holiday treat!
Plus this is THE PERFECT recipe to bake with your kids!
If you really can’t stand the mess, and the fighting that comes with the traditional baking recipes, this is the perfect one to try it again.
Yup. Only 3 ingredients and it doesn’t even involve making a bowl dirty! Now that’s a recipe that I can make. And you can too. There are no cooking or baking skills required at all.
These aren’t only for Christmas! Use different colored candies at the different times of the year.
I often make these for the kids birthdays. They usually help so then they are so excited that they helped make their birthday treats. Making it even more special for them.
Couple tips to make sure that you get the best results!
1.Use the square pretzels or small round ones. The traditional ones are almost too big and don’t make as nice of a pretzel hug.
2. Use a Silpat mat to line your baking sheet. While parchment paper does work, it moves around and the Silpat works better for making sure they don’t stick at all.
3. Hugs or Rolo chocolates definitely work best! Even kisses don’t quite melt as nice. (When I made them for these pictures, I used melting wafer chocolates, and it really didn’t work very well!)
4. If you don’t have candy, or want to make them for adults, top them with pecans instead.
5. It’s best to cool them in the fridge for 1 hr or in the freezer for 15 minutes, otherwise, they will smudge!
How Long Will homemade chocolate covered pretzels last?
These candies last a long time. They’ll last on the counter in an air-tight container for at least 3 weeks, or you can put them in the freezer for up to 6 months. They are essentially just a chocolate bar and they last for months on the counter too!
Do I refrigerate chocolate covered pretzels?
You can, I always do and it doesn’t alternate the texture at all. I like to because it thinks it keeps them fresher.
Where do you store chocolate covered pretzels?
On the counter in an airtight container, or in the fridge, or even in the freezer!
Step by step to make the best chocolate covered pretzels!
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Line your baking sheet with a Silpat mat. (or parchment, but you must use one of the two.)
2. Lay the pretzels out in a single layer. It’s ok if they touch!
3. Unwrap your hugs or Rolos and place them on top of the pretzels.
4. Place them in the oven for 3-4 minutes. Don’t let them be in there too long! If the chocolate over melts, you’ll have crumbly chocolate and the candies won’t stick.
5. You’ll know if they are melted enough if they easily flatten when you push on the candy. If not, then pop them back in the oven for 1 minute at a time.
6. Work fast! If the chocolate cools too much the candies won’t stick to the chocolate.
7. Let them cool on the counter for a few hours. Or pop them in the fridge for 1 hour, the freezer for 15 minutes to get them completely cooled.
Now get baking!! It’s super easy, and something that you can make with your kids without the mess!
Need more super simple baking recipes?
I’d love to see them in action! Snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @mamas.onepotmeals.